Saturday, January 23, 2016

Just BETWEEN you and me...This is a good Book!!!!

Review: Between by Dora Hilburn

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oh to have a ghost of my own...not really, but this book sure made it sound dreamy. Wyatt has haunted HIS house for more than a hundred years when Anna inherits it from an uncle. She isn't one to be run off by fear of the unknown. Instead, she invites her ghost to sit with her in the study and chat. And he does. OK. I'll admit. It's more complicated than that, but the gist is... this is a beautifully written love story about a girl and her ghost and the lengths he will go to keep her safe.

Not to be a downer, but I had really high hopes for this book--all the way through, but the ending fell a little flat for me. I liked it and would read it again because the beauty of the romance was almost perfectly poetic, but I will always long for a change in the dynamic at the end.

Not to say that the book was bad or disappointing, it was just that my romantic soul for something more for Anna. The beauty of this character was that while I didn't like her and knew in life we would never be besties, the story is written in such a way I wanted to be her friend. I wanted her to have what she wanted and I wanted a happy ending, even when she made me angry for the way she treated Eric. I didn't like that she fell back on her self-imposed isolation as a way to excuse how she treated others, but I did understand it and it made me feel something about her. I think feeling something about a character, like or dislike, is a sign that the character is well rounded enough to elicit an emotion and that is good stuff.


Four shining stars for a wonderful book.