Friday, January 15, 2016

Clipped Wings by Helena Hunting  (3 stars)


From the dark side takes on a new meaning with this tale of woe and heartache. There are great things in any book – a line that takes the reader’s breath away, or a scene so perfect it must be read twice. This book definitely has its finer qualities, but as I was reading, my like of the characters shifted dramatically. I knew it was dark and I knew it was twisty (this time it was the Buffy kind of angsty twist) and I wasn’t surprised by the not a happily ever after ending (as I have bought the second book and read the blurb). What did surprise me was the hero’s behavior. We all love the bad boy. Hundreds of thousands of books feature a hero who is defective and redeems himself in the end. 

With Hayden, this is not the case. Not at all. He is possessive to the point of creepy stalker. To show his possession of Tenley at a party he gives her a hickey. He shows up at her school and speaks to her professor. He takes great pains to make it clear to her and everyone else that he owns her. His growth throughout the relationship, in my opinion, was stunted to the point that it didn’t happen.

The heroine, Tenley, was also damaged beyond repair and showed moments of extreme courage followed almost immediately by moments of sheer mental instability. Despite that, she is more likable than the boy she falls for.

Despite my sheer dislike for the hero, I loved the dialogue between Tenley and Hayden when he was showing the Dr. Jekkyl part of his personality.


Overall, I don’t regret buying the book, but I probably wouldn’t read it a second time.  And if you are a fan of genital piercing, tattoos, casual drug use and heartache, this is the book for you.