Saturday, January 23, 2016

Behind Her Smile by Olivia Luck -- 3 Stars

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was enthralled by this book to the 75% point, but after, I felt like it lost some of its luster.  Let me explain...

Karolina is a smart character. She knows where she came from and she has a plan for where she's going until she meets the charming, enchanting, beautiful David Morgan. Then, suddenly, the reader is to believe that all the choices are taken out of her hands, that she is no longer capable of making decisions on her own because the longing for a family is so great that she can't see past it to see that her new man is pulling her puppet strings. And still... I couldn't put it down. Hey. I'm smart enough to know that I don't have to agree with every decision a character makes and I don't have to love every idea in their heads for them to be real people. I don't always agree with my sister, but I still love her, so I continued to read. I rooted for her through a troubled marriage, through a husband who all but abandoned her and through a friendship it didn't take Einstein to know was going to get her in trouble. Yep. Continued reading. I wanted her husband to get what he had coming to him.

When circumstances took a turn and the absolute blackness in his soul came to light and Karolina had no choice but to face the truth, I was still all in. And that is where I got lost a little bit. The climax of the book came 75% in and even though there were still many loose ends to be tied up, by 80% in, it was clear they would be.

It wasn't that I didn't care anymore. I just didn't care as much.  The saving grace in this book was the charismatic bad-boy Alec Christos (The aforementioned friend who you knew would cause some issues in the doomed marriage). Charm and hotness not withstanding, I would have preferred if he had a more active role in the big GOTCHA scene, but...sigh, his other scenes were pretty perfect and I was happy with the way his friendship brought Karolina back to life.

Overall, I'm giving this one three stars.